Wednesday 2 November 2011

BULLIED

My friends and family know me to be this... charismatic, secure, fun loving and clever. I'm an adventurer that will take any risk for the greater good of life (my life that is), a life that I really love.  There is another side to me one that is not as lovely for people sometimes; I'm strong willed, sensitive and for lack of a better word, manipulative and wildly passionate about people. For the most part, I am forgiving and I thank God for that part-I grew up in a church that I loved and always felt safe in.

As you may or may not know I'm currently in the city where I grew up - Victoria B.C. My husband is on a business trip and because my parents live here we felt that it was an important trip to take together. I love my family, but it's not the first place I would choose to holiday and I want to explain why. Yes, there is such a thing as "MEAN GIRLS"- it doesn't matter who you become, how much you bury it, or how happy you are, I was reminded yesterday that this hurt never goes away.

This is the third letter I've received via Facebook like this. Every-time is painful and I never knew how to respond, but this morning I knew sharing it would be the best way for me to move forward and let it go.

Hi Christy! I was 99% sure it was you when we ran into each other at Michelles today. I have been wanting to get in contact with you for years. Over the past 25 or so years you come up in my thoughts. I have never been able to forgive myself for how awfully I treated you in elementary school and I just want you to know how very sorry I am for my poor behavior. As a Mom to a 10 year girl who is just starting to learn about bullying and the importance of being a good friend it has especially been on my mind a lot lately. I can't give you any kind of valid reason why I was so cruel because you were in actual fact nothing but kind to me. Anyways I have wanted for many many years to apologize to you and I wish I could have face to face but who knows how long it'll be until I have that opportunity again. Lol. Congrats on your baby on the way! You are a glowing Mommy to be!

Tanya

Tanya was one of the students who bullied me from grades 3-7. Back then even the teachers contributed! Thank goodness, my parents moved me to a different district after that. There, I was able to come out of my shell, overcome the fear and become confident and happy. (That is how I remember it.)

Today, I have a very happy life. I'm loved, adored, blessed and I live life to the fullest sharing it with everyone around me.  However, and unfortunately for those I love, I can be a bit of a pain in the ass  :).

Try to stop me world!

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a very well written, reflective, blog post. It helps me to appreciate your history and the things that make you YOU!

    Thanks for sharing! And for being, in addition to everything above, a superb friend!

    ReplyDelete