Monday 9 May 2011

K2B

We are beat up but proud. The Keswick to Barrow was a huge success. 3000 people took part running and walking in both beautiful & nasty weather raising thousands for Cumbrian charities.

We woke up at 4:00am had a cold breakfast before driving out to Keswick for our 5:30am start. It was raining, but we could see hints of good weather ahead. When we hit our 10 mile (16.1km) check point we stopped to get rid of my pack. I was feeling the lack of consistent training but went into a country house bathroom cleaned up and was ready to get to through another ten miles, the sun had finally come out! By the time we hit 17m (27.3km) I was ready to sit down, although Clair had warned me not to, I needed a break. I sat on the beach ate beef jerky, chocolate and looked at the beautiful views of lake Coniston. When I tried to get up my body seized and with it came a lot of emotion. I am not into extreme sports, but do enjoy an active life. My husband would have been well ahead but kept up with me and supported every step.

We forged on to the 20 mile check point, where we knew we could get a burger/hotdog and cup of tea. I was hoping, the food and break would give me the energy that I needed to finish another 20 miles.
When we left 20m (32.1km) it started to pour and the road seemed like it would never end.  At the next check point 27.6m (44.3km) I ended my first K2B and had done my best. It was a very, very emotional moment. I had the driver pick me and go to the 30mile check point. When I found Steve he was in the medic tent taping up his blistered feet and said the next bit was probably the hardest in the walk, the never ending hill. I gave him fresh socks, a kiss and sent him back out in the rain feeling very angry and proud.

This is Steve running to the finish line- He makes me feel like the luckiest wife in the world!


 Our walk back to the hotel after dinner was one of the funniest moments of this trip. Friends drove up to meet us just after eight, the weather was nice and warm enough for me to wear a skirt, tank and flip-flops. During dessert we looked outside to rain, by the time we finished  it turned into a down pour including thunder and lightning. This shouldn't have been a big deal considering the hotel was a 4 minute walk from the restaurant. We hobbled from awning to awning and laughed all the way; soaked through I gave Anna & Mike a quick hug and kiss and headed off to bed!

This may also interest you: Keswick - To - Barrow

Today is the birthday of my favourite childhood book author- Roger Hargreaves- Mr. Men

I'm off for the night to Stratford-upon-Avon. Steve has a meeting and I'm going to explore Shakespeare's birth place and hopefully catch a production at the RSC Royal Shakespeare Company.

Happy Monday! xox

3 comments:

  1. I am SO proud of you!!!! You did awesome and better than I could have done, we walk 6km here and my feet hurt and my knees are aching and I want to catch the bus to the end!! and wahoooo to steve for finishing it at a RUN!!!???!! you guys ROCK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura Stanford10 May 2011 at 16:24

    This is such an excellent account of your experience - I really felt like I was right there with you as I was reading this. You are both amazing! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete