Tuesday 17 May 2011

GUEST BLOGGER: DAY II: A Food Fanatic

Okay, so it’s day two of my blogging and that means it’s time to let you in a little (huge) secret – I LOVE food! And unfortunately not always the good-for-the-heart-healthy kind, but sometimes the bad-but-tastes-so-good kind – do you know what I mean? Nevertheless, lately I’ve been making a sincere effort to minimize my bar-and-a-half dairy milk chocolate bars intake and maximize my healthy food intake.

I began with simple salads. I’ve made (and photographed) two delicious salads – garden and spinach. 



They were both delightful, if I do say so myself.  So this week I’m feeling confident to try a new salad and here’s the recipe in case you’d like to try as well!

Fennel Salad with Citrus Zests and Toasted Pine Nuts

This recipe comes from Chef Laura Calder (French Food at Home on the foodnetwork.ca) and is considered a summery salad!

For this recipe, meant to serve four, you’ll need the following ingredients:

      ·     1 large fennel bulb

·      Zest and juice from 1 lemon
·      Zest of 1 orange
·      3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
·      Olive oil, to taste
·      Fleur de sel (coarse salt) and freshly ground pepper to season

You’ll also need the following directions:
Cut the shoots from the fennel and discard, reserving a good handful of green fronds. Chop these and toss them into a bowl. Peel the fennel bulbs, halve, core, and slice paper-thin, using a mandolin if you have one. Add to the bowl. Grate over the zests. Squeeze lemon juice over, to taste. Add the pine nuts. Drizzle over oil, to taste. Season with salt and pepper. Toss, taste and adjust the seasonings, and serve immediately.


If you have the chance to try this salad before Friday, let me know what you think :)

No comments:

Post a Comment