Monday 16 May 2011

GUEST BLOGGER: DAY I: An Oxford Outing


As a first time blogger, I decided to start simple by blogging about something I enjoy and know a little about. That something is travel. When I moved to England (eight months ago) I made a commitment to travel as much as possible. Next on my list of travel destinations is Oxford, England. I’m guilty for, more often than not, travelling without doing a lot of pre-research. I guess I like the thrill of the unknown – its half the fun. However, for my first blog I thought I’d highlight a few must-dos/must-sees for my Oxford Outing!

1.     Oxford University – the oldest English-speaking university in the world, with notable graduates such as Bill Clinton, Hugh Grant, C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, Lewis Carroll, Lester B. Pearson, and many more.

2.     Bodleian Library – one of the oldest libraries in Europe and second largest in the United Kingdom. Apparently “the Bod” isn’t open to the public, but I’d like to visit from the outside.

3.     Christ Church College – the largest college at Oxford and also an 800-year-old chapel. This is one of many sites in Oxford used during the filming of Harry Potter.

4.     Blackwell’s Bookstore – known for having the largest single room devoted to book sales in Europe. There is a cafĂ© here so I’ll be buying a new book and a latte :)

5.     Botanic Gardens – I’ll hope the sun is shining to enjoy these gardens and perhaps read a little more of my new novel.

6.     The Eagle and Child – a famous literary pub - a local for J.R.R. Tolkein and C.S. Lewis. Perfect for a lovely meal to end the day!

Well I think that’s enough planning for my Oxford Outing – I’ll leave the rest up to chance and happenstance, just as it should be.  

1 comment: