Saturday 26 April 2014

GLUTEN FREE CUPCAKE


I tried my first gluten free cupcake today. It was at a beautiful little cafe with a great kids play area tucked in the back. I have been there before under a different name and management. I was pretty excited when I walked through the door and saw some gorgeous baked goods. I got my grump on when I figured out that I had ordered a gluten free cupcake. I was even grumpier when (in my opinion) my cupcake tasted like a $4 sand mound  with no diet benefit- boo! ( keep in mind I love gluten cupcakes and have no gluten intolerance) 

After talking to Steve's cousin about it this afternoon I feel kinda bad for being so judgmental. She informed me that gluten is easily cross contaminated when baking. The Thimble takes extra care in making sure this doesn't happen. After checking out their FB page I have a better understanding about cross contamination. How awful for people who have a gluten intolerance. The majority of the cafes not even serving a gluten free option. For all you gluten intolerant Mummy's out there. Check out the Thimble Cafe in Barhaven!

3 comments:

  1. That's too bad Christy! I've made some pretty tasty g-free cupcakes. I think being g-free is an art, you really have to work hard at finding yummy treats, and places to eat them. Please don't judge all g-free cupcakes based on this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny Sandy. I went over to my friend Mary's today and I shared this story. She gave me one of her GF cupcakes that she had made over the weekend and it tasted great.

    ReplyDelete