Tuesday 11 June 2013

FOR ROMILLY

Romilly Rose Frances Gillespie,
Thursday June 6, 2013:

I went to my weekly OB appointment without Daddy today because his office was having a golf day Since I love golf I was very supportive of this man day. *wink*  ( he did well but bless him it rained all day. )

I was 3 centimeters dilated and the OB, Dr Thorne said that she expected to see me at the hospital tonight or tomorrow. Lucky for me my doctor was also on call Friday. I spent Thursday night having contractions through the night about 20 minutes apart and kicked your father out of bed - he was enjoying sleep way too much - and I figured one of us should get a good nights rest before dealing with me in labour. In the morning, Daddy made pancakes at 8.  I texted the girls back from playgroup letting them know I would definitely be going today as my contractions were still 15-20 minutes apart. By the end of breakfast the plan had dramatically changed. My contractions were 3 minutes apart; I was scared I wouldn't make it to the hospital and in a lot of pain. We all panicked showered, dressed, dropped Euan off with Marianne and made our supposedly 7 minute journey in rush hour traffic ( of course) to the hospital- It's 12 in rush hour! 

I think I had a pretty standard birth. I was miserable, my usual labour state. I said things like: "don't talk to me," "don't touch me" and "we are never doing this again" - the usual right?  I'm a wimp. I read somewhere that red heads have a low pain tolerance (shhhh, I'm originally strawberry brown :) )  I didn't want to talk or even open my eyes, and silly me rejected the wheel chair on the way in. All I wanted was to go on holiday, aka have an epidural asap! So many questions - just give it to me already. The most amazing nurse (Lorraine) came in to help out my delivery nurse (Cindy) and told me to take shallow small breaths not deep crazy ones- it worked making much it easier to deal with the contractions until I was able to see the anesthesiologist.  Standard me regarding needles - IV wouldn't take! -Cindy had to call another nurse to try. I don't care what anyone says both times I've had an IV it hurt so much I wasn't even bothered by the epidural pain; I was too whiny about my hand and my contractions. 

When I gave birth to your brother in England, they let you dole out your own epidural pain medication with a 'magic' button ( I couldn't feel my legs).  Here they do it for you- better idea! I also found out that the epidural works with gravity so I had to turn over twice to get the full effect.  It took a longer, but in the end I could feel pressure as well as my legs and when to push. 

I was ten centimeters dilated and just waiting for Cindy to finish up lunch and Dr. Thorne to come in. My little girl, you may have taken your sweet time coming but once you decided to come it didn't take long. I asked for the big mirror- I could see your head! I don't know why Daddy thought this was such a big deal if everyone else gets to see including him why couldn't I? It was awesome- the most incredible thing I've ever seen although shocking and a little mortifying to be honest. I know your father didn't want me to have the mirror now. I've asked him about a million questions since- bless him. An hour of pushing, Daddy cut the cord and I had my little baby girl snuggled to my chest. You cried before you were entirely out and Dr.Thorne commented on how lovely your round cheeks were. 

My beauty you are an amazing gift and blessing. We gave you a feminine name, Romilly Rose Frances Gillespie. You were 8.6 lbs and 21 inches heavier and longer than your brother but he came early. Your hair is auburn right now and you have blue eyes. As you will one day know Romilly is a Scottish name and sentimental to us as it is  latin for Mommy's maiden name Walker, Rose is Celtic for flower and Frances is my middle name, my great-grandfather's, grandfather's & fathers name. 

You are doing well other than a little jaundice which takes us back to the hospital daily. You've caught on to breast feeding like a pro and sleeps endless hours. I've only seen you open those beautiful blue eyes a handful of times. Your brother loves you- he's only tried to beat you over the head a few times. *smile* I'm not sure he understands yet but he waved goodnight to you last night on his way to bed. It was the sweetest thing I've ever seen. 

We are doing well getting into the swing of things. Dad is taking 9 months of parental and is already started on his honey do list that I've given him. Most of it is projects for your nursery. Your father seems much more relaxed this time around with his new position of stay at home Dad. 

Outside the standard painful healing process I'm feeling lighter, experienced & blissful. In just shy of a month our  family of 2 will become 3 when your big brother C joins us for the summer- It's going to be awesome!

Romilly Rose you are loved as I always was -until you stop counting.... Mommy

1 comment:

  1. Laura Stanford12 June 2013 at 00:15

    I'm crying! This is so beautiful. Such a different experience from Euan - yet both are special. I love her already and I haven't even met her! xo

    ReplyDelete