Friday 1 February 2013

ENGLISH BUNTING

After locking myself in the basement for a few hours the last few evenings I have finished the bunting that Tamarin and I started in Bristol. It's atrocious work, but if I hang it high enough no one will know how bad it really is.

I thought that it would be an easy project. It ended up being 25 feet long and taking hours of work. Most of those hours were spent drinking tea, tasting Waitrose bakery items (all of them) and sharing the good and the complex moments of our lives. With it came lots of laughter and some tears and most importantly a special bond that I'm sure will last the test of distance and time. I had just had Euan, Tamarin had just found out she was pregnant and we were both getting ready to move across the Oceans, in separate directions. (They moved to South Africa)

It is made from some sentimental material: the shirt Steve wore on our first date - funny that Tamarin has this material too.  Most of the bunting is made of Cath Kidston materials, a designer I fell in love with while living in the UK. Some of the Cath fabric was a birthday present from L and the other was from her KIDS collection.  Like many items I spend a little too much on, I told Steve it would last the generations of our family and I believe it will. *smile*


 I would never take back this time I had sharing with my friend, but I have learned a valuable lesson and I know Tamarin knows it too- I am easily distracted. As I'm still learning the basics, I should take more time focusing on the sewing on my next project.  I've set up a little sewing space in the basement spare room; it works well and has few distractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment