Tuesday 12 February 2013

BLUE ENVELOPE


My Give Monday didn't go to the original plan.


Instead, we took the envelope to the grocery store yesterday afternoon. When I found this task online I thought it would be very easy but all of sudden I was feeling very anxious. Who would I give it to? The guy that drove up beside up in the Lexus? The lady that left as I entered? The man that left his wife to grab some laundry soap and landed in the same isle as us? The entire idea of giving a stranger the envelope brought out my shy side. We did most of our grocery shopping and I went off to look in the Joe section like usual with the envelope burning a hole in my handbag!  It was there that I saw a new Mom looking at the kid's clothes.  I knew instantly she was going to receive my Give Monday envelope. This is how it went for all who inquired... It was awkward!!!! I walked up, took the envelope out of my hand bag and said "Here you go." She gave me a funny look and said "What is it?!? I awkwardly said to open it and walked away at a very quick pace, wanting nothing more than to sink into the floor. I took off my hat hoping to look different. I was afraid of her reaction. At this point I'd wished I'd left it in an aisle. Is it so ridiculous to give a stranger 10 dollars?- YES! I texted Steve and told him to meet me at the cash.  With confusion, he asked what was going on and when I told him laughed with me again, confused over my sudden shyness. He was happy that I finally understood how hard it would have been for him to have done the same thing- Maybe next month it will be your turn Steve....


At the end of the day, I think it's a pretty darn cool thing to do and I hope one day to be lucky enough to be the random recipient of a Blue Give Monday envelope. I'll definitely be keeping my eyes peeled!

2 comments:

  1. Very enjoyable story! I'm glad you had that moment of perspective (Steve is too I'm sure) about how hard this task actually is. However, I bet that lady went home and told the story to her family, bought something nice with the $10! You never know what is behind people's facade...maybe she really needed that money. Or maybe she didn't so she paid it forward. I figure whatever happened it was good, and you should feel good about it!

    ReplyDelete