Wednesday 14 November 2012

HEADSTANDS

http://www.lululemon.com/community/blog/five-steps-to-headstand/

1. Use a sticky mat (doubled over, if you want extra cushion). On your hands and knees, bring the crown of your head to the ground. With your palms flat and near your head, bring your hands away from your face – this creates the ‘tripod’ between the head and hands. Your forearms should now be perpendicular to the ground. Lift your knees up and walk your feet in. Stay here for 5-20 breaths.



2. When your feet are in as close as possible (essentially your bum is aligned on top of the head and the shoulders), try bringing each knee, one at a time, to rest on top of your triceps (teddy bear headstand). Stay here for 5-20 breaths.



3. In teddy bear headstand, engage your abdominals and float the knees off your triceps, bring your knees to touch and keep your legs bent, with your heels near your bum. Stay here for 5-20 breaths.




4. With your knees and big toes touching, roll your bent legs slowly upwards, until your knees are pointing up to the ceiling. Going through all theses motions slowly requires engaging core strength. Stay 5-20 breaths.



5. Finally, extend your legs straight up into the air. Seal the inner legs together. Hold for as long as you desire, then come down slowly, the exact same way you rolled up!




Headstands are my favourite party trick. I remember performing one in a hotel suite in Victoria seven months pregnant for my bestie and her children who were pretty impressed. It's funny, I'm hopeless at yoga and pilates, but I can spend hours standing on my head- that must mean I have core strength.


I taught my stepson C first to put the weight on his knees and then slowly lift up the legs. Many hours falling over onto the couch in a fit of giggles were spent trying to improve his headstand.

This is C trying to get up in front of the giant fork in Vevey, Switzerland during our spring break ski vacation. There are hilarious shots of us.



 I will be practicing my headstands over the next few weeks in the glorious sunshine. We leave for paradise this Friday, can't wait!  xoxo

1 comment:

  1. This post made me smile and laugh!

    ReplyDelete