Friday 12 October 2012

OH SPAGHETTI SQUASH HOW I MISSED YOU

I've been away from my favourite squash for three years and although I'm not sure my next statement is 100 percent truthful I'm going to say it anyway-  England does not have Spaghetti Squash. 

I looked high and low in pretty much every grocery store England has, and there are many.

I've bothered the produce department numerous times and if you can believe it, been stalked by a woman eavesdropping on my conversation with the produce guy then followed me around the store working up the courage to ask me all about this lovely winter squash that makes spaghetti like strands.

Some recipes tell you to cut the squash and put the two pieces in a dish of water to bake. Last week while in Guelph I learned the most wonderful thing about slicing  squash. Steve's Mom took a sharp knife and put a few inserts in it then tossed it into the microwave for three minutes making it soft and easy to cut through- genius! This little tip has made my life a lot easier and I love that it's back in our monthly rotation of great meals. 

According to Wikipedia these babies are pretty easy to grow. I'll let you know by next year if this is true. Here are a few Spaghetti Squash facts...

Spaghetti Squash-  is an oblong seed-bearing variety of winter squash. The fruit can range either from ivory to yellow or orange in color. The orange varieties have a higher carotene content. Its center contains many large seeds. Its flesh is bright yellow or orange. When raw, the flesh is solid and similar to other raw squash; when cooked, the flesh falls away from the fruit in ribbons or strands like spaghetti.

Preparation

Spaghetti squash can be baked, boiled, steamed, or microwaved.[1] It can be served with or without sauce, as a substitute for pasta. The seeds can be roasted, similar to pumpkin seeds.[1]

[edit]Nutrition

Spaghetti squash contains many nutrients, including folic acidpotassiumvitamin A, and beta carotene. It is low in calories, averaging 42 calories per 1-cup (155 grams) serving.[2]

[edit]Cultivation

Spaghetti squash are relatively easy to grow, thriving in gardens or in containers.[3]
The plants are monoecious, with male and female flowers on the same plant.[4] Male flowers have long, thin stems that extend upwards from the vine. Female flowers are shorter, with a small round growth underneath the petals. This round growth turns into the squash if the flower is successfully pollinated.
Spaghetti squash plants may cross-pollinate with zucchini plants.



No comments:

Post a Comment