Wednesday 7 December 2011

FRIENDS ARE RELATIVES WE MAKE FOR OURSELVES

My friend's TL & Vanessa gave me a heart that says "friends are relatives we make for ourselves."

I have been a military hobo for so long that I'm blessed to have "relatives" in most spots. I value keeping all of these friendships. I may not see them for 10 years but always keep in contact and know that I'm welcome back in their home for Christmas, Thanksgiving or any other family holiday.

On a side thought... Do generation X and Y care more about their friends then their family?  My mom was the first one to say this to me (years ago) maybe because I live 5000 miles away and spend most holidays with friends? The thing is, It has not been assumed in our family that someone ie Mom, Brother's will host holiday dinner and sadly I'm not sure when this stopped. Maybe when our family outgrew the dining room table? I hope these traditions might be different with my children and we always welcome friends, and family in our home.

L came yesterday "our teenage daughter-another friend" I'm finally feeling really festive. We went shopping, started decorating the house and put the lights on our Charlie Brown UK tree. I feel like she brought Christmas from Canada for me- thanks L! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment