Thursday 5 May 2011

THE RED LODGE


I have walked past it many times and even tried the handle a few times. Today was my lucky day. 
This historic Elizabethan house built in 1590 has been many things, including a reform school for girls set up my Mary Carpenter and home to the author James Prichard who wrote The Natural History of Man whilst living in the Red Lodge in 1827.

 The Red Lodge is full of "wow" rooms. This may be the best museum in Bristol. ;) It was more like a show home with craftsmanship and detail that we will never again find in modern homes. "The great oak room has been called one of the finest in the West Country" stated the BBC. Some of my other favourites in the house were the fireplaces, plasterwork ceilings & majestic chandeliers.

 I noticed a sign that said the Elizabethan Knot garden was not open for viewing but could be viewed from the bedroom windows. As I peeked out the window I noticed a couple sitting in the "closed" garden and on finishing my tour asked if  I to could get in; more luck, the back of the house is also home to the Bristol Savages (a club formed in 1894 for a society of artists.) They were having their 101st Annual Exhibition. So not only did I get to tour the beautiful garden, but I also got to check out this cracking art exhibition! If you live in Bristol or are visiting put this on your to-do list. Best part, it's free! 




Where to find it

Situated behind the Colston Hall and next to Trenchard car park, off Lodge Street,

The Red Lodge
Park Row, Bristol, BS1 5LJ
Tel: 0117 921 1360

When open

Open April to October only.
Saturday to Wednesday (closed Thursdays and Fridays), 10am-5pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment